Sunday 31 August 2008

The first day




There ain't no sun getting anywhere near me!

This is where we stopped for lunch on the first day. After a punishing hike uphill for what seemed like 3 hours, but was probably one, we walked over a bump and discovered this scene.....mountains,a small pond, a table, already laid, bowls to wash our hands in and the lunch already waiting for us. Hot soup and then quite an amazing dish with trout stuffed with herbs....I still have no idea how these chefs managed to make such delicious food, so quickly, in the wilderness, incredible! It was so surreal though, I said at the time that it felt like we were in Alice in Wonderland, sat at the mad-hatters tea party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me more about the food, other than cuy, i have no idea what is eaten in peru.

ps: i looked up cusco on the atlas. peru is all bright red, ie at 5000m altitude. [that doesn't even appear on the european pages (except a little of switzerland)]
peru appears to go from sea level to 5000m pretty much instantly, so i bet you had a great bus journey from the airport to cusco!

Amelia said...

The altitude got to me quire badly the first week, drank about a zillion cups of coca tea!! I've adjusted now, but stairs are still an issue...can't walk and talk at the same time.

Apart from cuy, the national dish I guess would be cerviche which is seafood or fish in lime juice and chilli.....It's pretty good, but I didn't have it in Lima where its best because its by the sea....doh!
Other than that its alot of meat, rice and beans!