Monday 8 September 2008

The mighty Salkantay



This is the might Salkantay Glacier. I have never seen anything so spectacular and dumbfounding in my life. It is magnificent. I sat at the foot of this glacier as big clouds of mist floated by and I couldn't say anything. There were deep rumblings as you could here mini-avalanches, like it was stretching and moaning. I felt very small and very unimportant. It was impossible to take a picture of that scene, but I have some others here that give you some idea.












At the Salkantay pass it is traditional to build a pile of rocks as an offering to the God of Salkantay and make a wish. The bigger the wish, the bigger the pile. The whole place is full of little stone molehills.



I reached the pass after a long, long climb uphill and did the lion pose for Jackie




This is my little pile of stones....I made a wish, but its a secret.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glaciers are amazingly beautiful.

these photos remind me of all the antarctic explorers' accounts i've read, of climbing-up glaciers, scrambling over sastrugi, falling down crevasses, etc

don't do that last one by the way!