Sunday 31 August 2008

The very beginning of the Salkantay Trek

This is the bus that took us from Cusco to Sorraybamba where we started the trek. This was the first in a series of three 'death-buses' that we would take as part of the trek. An old bus travelling on steep mountain passes that are the same width as the bus and made up of dust and rabble. The driver, seemingly oblivious to the dangerous road conditions, drives like he's on the M6.....very life affirming.



The very beginning of the walking....I'm smiling...that's becasue I don't realise that I have to climb up the big bugger behind me.
It's so incredibly beautiful out there. I've never been anywhere so humbling because the scale of it is beyond comprehension. I thought Snowdonia was big. It's a molehill!
This was not just a picture postcard place, this landscape, all the ay along the trek was so immense and so striking that it hits some kind of emotion, maybe awe or maybe something to do with mortality, I don't know, but it was much more than nice to look at.

No comments: