Sunday 10 August 2008

Signora Venero y Vicky

I met Vicky on the plane from Bogota to Lima. I´d spent the whole day crying and bless her cottons, even though all I wanted to do was go to sleep, her cheerful chatter was just what I needed. She was so kind to me and after all of 5 minutes of conversation offered to show me the city and help me get to my hostel.
Yesterday, I went to her house for dinner. Her mother was very sweet and prepared for us a tradtional Peruvian meal....thank goodness it wasn´t guinea pig!

They live in the North of Lima in a subusrb called los olivos. Vicky is a physical therapist and her brother is a lawyer for their equivalent of trading standards. They both live at home and their home is lovely, but for two professionals, their lifestyle would be very different in England. These are the middle classes here...their clothes are nice, their food is good and they live in a relatively safe area, but their house is not to the standard of a council house in England. It´s a different world.
I explained to Vicky´s brother the welfare system in England as part of trying to explain my job. When I got to JSA he was dumbfounded.



It was really nice to go to a home in Lima and be with a family. I was supposed to go to a party that night with Vicky, but in the end I decided not to as it´s not really safe to travel back to my hostel a night.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you're doing really well, being invited back to someone's house.

hang in there honey, you will hook-up with people on a longer term basis and it's not all being lonely

i remember it so well tho, it's hard.

a big hug is coming your way fron crewe

mhairi

evilstepparent said...

Hi Mimi,

I've got a very happy Fanty with me. We've just got the postcard of the pink house! It's not the same here without you, but we're enjoying keeping up with your blog. I hope you meet up with more people on your next stop.

love and hugs

Lou, Jo, Fanty and Bob

xxxxx